Introduction- School
Okie dooks, just a really quick intro to my turf before I start referring to things in future that might leave you guys going ‘Huh?’. Right now, I’m supposedly studying for my ‘Safety, Loss prevention and Environmental control’ module. However, I’m unable to concentrate…. ;p Yep, doing my 2nd year in Chemical Engineering. I’m schooling in Loughborough University, UK. Loughborough is a small university town with a population of around 15 000 (from the last time I was told, might have been inaccurate), of which 12 000 are students from the university. It’s located in between Nottingham and Birmingham.
Loughborough University is well known for its sports science. (You need perfect A’s to get a place in the sports courses).
Feburary Sn0w* 2005 with Loughborough Uni backdrop
Anyway, what am I doing in a ‘sports school’? Lol, I’m sooo not a sporty person. Well my dad and uncle graduated from Lubra 20 plus years ago with degrees in Chemical engineering, so yeah… I was ‘brain washed’ into following their footsteps. Their ‘class photos’ are even displayed on the corridor walls in my department…. Freaky :P It didn’t matter that I got accepted NTU’s ‘Chemical & Biomolecular engineering’ course. My dad would rather spend 10 000 plus pounds a year just on school fees in order for me to experience what he had 20 plus years ago. Its sweet really, dad wanting me to ‘experience’ life outside Singapore/ Malaysia, not wanting me to go through all the stress people usually do when they study in NUS & NTU. Yeah, I have to admit that its not as ‘academically stressful’ over here, but I’ve got a new kind of burden- The guilt of my parents spending so much on me, I really need to excel and score in order to make their investment worthwhile. Sighz… its like stress And GUILT now…. Hmm, what to do? The repercussions of being the eldest, all your parents’ expectations are piled on you. You gotta set an example, be a role model to your younger siblings. Oh btw, Loughborough is well known for its engineering degrees as well. Perharps not as strong as the sports sciences (In which it ranks 1st thru out Europe.), Loughborough places itself 4th on the UK League tables for Chemical engineering =) Its fairly hard to get in, the department takes in like 50 plus undergrads per year.

Scenic shot- 1 of the many game fields in Lufbra

Behind the library. Its entrance is a little unusual, you can only enter from the 3rd floor.

Family shot outside Hazlerigg Hall
Oh shoots, I just realized that I’m not able to fully exploit the use of abbreviations and slangs in my blog. Like my global friends would not understand what NTU & NUS stands for (Nanyang Technological University & National University of Singapore). The same ‘slang’ would refer to different things as well. For example, when I say ‘I’m headed for the Union..’ Friends from university would think that I’m going to the Student’s union while friends in Singapore would conclude that I’m going to Union Square (the salsa place). *scrunches up nose in thought* Hmm…. This blogging business is going to get a little tricky
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home