STRIKE!
Many people back home say that the government is too strict. Our freedom of speech they say, is limited to the Speaker’s Corner. Taking whatever disagreements to the street brings about serious consequences. Going on strikes would lead to losing your jobs.
I’ve never really been bothered about the amount of control that the government has. Basically, it helps keep everything under control, to prevent any havoc from happening. Look at some other countries around who have such freedom, rallying on the streets, strikes… It feels good to voice out any unhappiness you have, but at what cost? Security? Productivity?
I guess some people might feel unsatisfied with the way things are back home. However, after being in UK (where many consider it ‘developed’), I’ve started to really appreciate my adopted country back home even more. In terms of facilities, security, accessibility, cleanliness, entertainment, cuisine, climate & the list goes on. Its weird, how people back home want to come over here, whereas me and all my friends just can’t wait to return home.
Ever been in a situation where you’re at City Hall MRT station, wanting to board the train after a hard day’s work, but then realizing that you’re unable to take the train due to strikes?
Or how would you (assuming that you’re a student) feel if your teachers went on strike for the day? I guess the initial reaction would be “Yay! 1 day holiday!” But that’s not just it. How about finding out that you can’t graduate and obtain your degree because the teachers are refusing to mark and grade the exam scripts? *pause* has it sunk in yet?
Throughout UK today, lecturers who are part of the AUT (Association for University Teachers) went on strike. *smiles* Some of my friends back home thought that it was cool, they wld never get to experience this. But for me, I was like “Er?!” “You mean I pay ₤10 500 /yr for this?”
Not all of the lecturers went on strike thou, those who are not part of the AUT still conducted classes today. I ended up having to go to 2 out of my 5 lectures. Anyway, many students today were trilled to be given the extra time off. Aud’s course mates (she”s doing materials engineering) even had a petition going round to ask all of their lecturers to go on strike, *rolls eyes*. When it was Audrey’s turn to sign the paper, she declined. Not that she was really enthu about going to lectures. I knew what she was thinking. Like any other Singaporean, she was just being cautions. Who knows what that signature would lead to? Maybe supporting the strike would compromise her studies? *laughs* That’s us. We have grown to fear the higher powers…
The AUT has said that, millions of students could be left with coursework unmarked, lectures and seminars cancelled, and their exam programmes thrown into chaos if a pay deal cannot be reached and the assessment boycott rumbles on. **
Okay…. I’m starting to freak out a little here. My parents have been slogging out their guts just to give me a UK tertiary education as they believe in the strength of the British education system. I’m not from a wealthy family. The amount that my parents are paying for my UK experience should be enough to give them a nice, comfortable retirement. Escaping from Singapore’s stressful education system maybe a slight relief, but the amount of emotional guilt in using up my parents' funds creates this extreme pressure for me to perform and make their investment worthwhile. (Its like a pressure cooker here, during the examination period, us foreign students would start to break down 1 by 1.) Now there is a possibility that my degree might be in jeopardy, am I supposed to stay calm? Hello!? THIS is my life now- my studies. Other things (yep!), I can let go. But not this alright?
*sigh* Hope things between the AUT & Universities would be resolved. If this persists, it would deter any prospective foreign students would studying UK. Think about all the extra revenue which the Universities would lose.
From what I’ve heard, the lecturers have relatively low incomes compared to their counterparts across Europe. I don’t know the extent of the accuracy of my sources. I’m not taking sides between both parties. But as an innocent victim (and I speak for all my other friends who are paying foreign school fees which are around 10 times as much as that of the local rate), I would like to enquire as to where do my ₤10 500/yr go to?
People, any opinions?
** Taken off AUT's website
http://www.aut.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1557
I’ve never really been bothered about the amount of control that the government has. Basically, it helps keep everything under control, to prevent any havoc from happening. Look at some other countries around who have such freedom, rallying on the streets, strikes… It feels good to voice out any unhappiness you have, but at what cost? Security? Productivity?
I guess some people might feel unsatisfied with the way things are back home. However, after being in UK (where many consider it ‘developed’), I’ve started to really appreciate my adopted country back home even more. In terms of facilities, security, accessibility, cleanliness, entertainment, cuisine, climate & the list goes on. Its weird, how people back home want to come over here, whereas me and all my friends just can’t wait to return home.
Ever been in a situation where you’re at City Hall MRT station, wanting to board the train after a hard day’s work, but then realizing that you’re unable to take the train due to strikes?
Or how would you (assuming that you’re a student) feel if your teachers went on strike for the day? I guess the initial reaction would be “Yay! 1 day holiday!” But that’s not just it. How about finding out that you can’t graduate and obtain your degree because the teachers are refusing to mark and grade the exam scripts? *pause* has it sunk in yet?
Throughout UK today, lecturers who are part of the AUT (Association for University Teachers) went on strike. *smiles* Some of my friends back home thought that it was cool, they wld never get to experience this. But for me, I was like “Er?!” “You mean I pay ₤10 500 /yr for this?”
Not all of the lecturers went on strike thou, those who are not part of the AUT still conducted classes today. I ended up having to go to 2 out of my 5 lectures. Anyway, many students today were trilled to be given the extra time off. Aud’s course mates (she”s doing materials engineering) even had a petition going round to ask all of their lecturers to go on strike, *rolls eyes*. When it was Audrey’s turn to sign the paper, she declined. Not that she was really enthu about going to lectures. I knew what she was thinking. Like any other Singaporean, she was just being cautions. Who knows what that signature would lead to? Maybe supporting the strike would compromise her studies? *laughs* That’s us. We have grown to fear the higher powers…
The AUT has said that, millions of students could be left with coursework unmarked, lectures and seminars cancelled, and their exam programmes thrown into chaos if a pay deal cannot be reached and the assessment boycott rumbles on. **
Okay…. I’m starting to freak out a little here. My parents have been slogging out their guts just to give me a UK tertiary education as they believe in the strength of the British education system. I’m not from a wealthy family. The amount that my parents are paying for my UK experience should be enough to give them a nice, comfortable retirement. Escaping from Singapore’s stressful education system maybe a slight relief, but the amount of emotional guilt in using up my parents' funds creates this extreme pressure for me to perform and make their investment worthwhile. (Its like a pressure cooker here, during the examination period, us foreign students would start to break down 1 by 1.) Now there is a possibility that my degree might be in jeopardy, am I supposed to stay calm? Hello!? THIS is my life now- my studies. Other things (yep!), I can let go. But not this alright?
*sigh* Hope things between the AUT & Universities would be resolved. If this persists, it would deter any prospective foreign students would studying UK. Think about all the extra revenue which the Universities would lose.
From what I’ve heard, the lecturers have relatively low incomes compared to their counterparts across Europe. I don’t know the extent of the accuracy of my sources. I’m not taking sides between both parties. But as an innocent victim (and I speak for all my other friends who are paying foreign school fees which are around 10 times as much as that of the local rate), I would like to enquire as to where do my ₤10 500/yr go to?
People, any opinions?
** Taken off AUT's website
http://www.aut.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1557
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home